About a month ago at work we went through the process of upgrading Teamcenter Engineering 2007 to Teamcenter 8.3 (AKA, Teamcenter Unified). Here are a couple of lessons learnt from mistakes we made:
Account for workflows that were started, but not completed, before the upgrade.
We had to make some changes to our workflows to accommodate some of the changes we made while upgrading Teamcenter. We tested the new workflow templates extensively, but we never tested what happened to the workflows that were started in Teamcenter Engineering but would be completed in Teamcenter 8.3. Either we should have tested that case, or we should have had a policy that all in-process workflows had to be completed or terminated before the upgrade.
Test while logged in as a non-DBA user (not just while not logged into the dba group).
We did lots of testing — but most of it was done by users who were members of the dba group, although they weren’t typically logged into it while they did the testing. Well, unfortunately, Teamcenter sometimes treats users a bit differently if they have dba membership even when they’re not currently logged into that group. When we went live we discovered that many of our regular users were having problems that we had never seen during testing. What we should have done in our test system was to log in as one of the “regular” users to do the testing.
Roles are objects that can have object-ACLs.
This isn’t a generally applicable lesson like the previous two, but it was enough of a surprise to me that I think I should mention it. Somehow a couple of our oldest roles, originaly created in iMan 7 or so, turned out to have had object ACLs attached to them somehow at some point. This caused some really bizarre and surprising problems when we went live. This was actually the main set of errors that we missed because we had been testing as users who who were members of the dba group.
Here’s hoping that these lessons may help you avoid some grief the next time you upgrade Teamcenter!